In the future, there is true hope. In the future, there is a reflection of the abundance and gratitude of today.
Letting go of the fear of the future means, in general, letting go of most of your fears.
Just think about it: 99% of all of our worries and fears are connected only and exclusively with thoughts about the future:
- What will tomorrow bring us?
- What if it were something highly unpredictable, or even painful?
- Will I be able to handle it?
- Am I ready for that?
- How will I protect my family?
- How will I deal with that?
But, what happens when we let go of all these fears?
What happens when we surrender ourselves to the uncertainty of the future, letting ourselves experience all the feelings that lie behind, and letting them simply go, once and forever?
Can we even do that?
Can Letting Go take us so far?
After several Letting Go meditations related to the uncertainty of the future, some interesting revelations came to me when all the negative emotions behind these fears were surrendered, released, and let go.
The most surprising one was the realization that there is not such a thing as a future.
Any moment of our life we live at is defined by being in a state of a clear presence. We simply can’t live in the past or future; we can only live in the present.
So, all we can really be fearful of, is just our presence, as this is the only state that we are actually experiencing. Yes, we can also think of extensions, multiplication, or variations of the present, which are often falsely altered with the word “future”, but it is still just another form of the presence.
Now, this is great news.
Because the good thing about the present is, that we can shape it and define it exactly as we want to – at any given moment. We can instantly decide if we want to be joyful or fearful right now if we want to be exuberant or impoverished. We have the power of the full choice about the presence, about the actual, instant moment.
But, because the future is, in fact, just an extension or multiplication (or variation) of the presence, by shaping our presence, we can then immediately shape our future as well:
If we feel true hope today, we already create it for our future too.
If we feel abundance and gratitude today, we already create it for our future as well.
I admit that this concept can be a bit difficult to understand for most of you right now. However, after several letting go of these future-related issues, you will start seeing it clearer.. This concept needs to be fully experienced (by letting go of the barriers for this experience) first, in order to be able to absolutely understand it, accept it, and take great advantages of it.
So here is letting go process of the fear of the future:
1. In a quiet place, close your eyes and think of any of your recent fears about the future.
2. Start noticing the feelings (as they will start coming up) behind your thoughts.
3. Don’t try to label these feelings in any way, rationalize or analyze them. Just let them come out and express themselves.
4. Start surrendering yourself to these feelings slowly, let them express themselves fully all over your body (or any other part where you feel them most intensively). Don’t push them back, don’t block them or act on them either. Just let them be in their natural way and instead, be an independent observer of them, as if they weren’t even yours.
5. After a while, make a decision about letting them go once and forever, and then let them actually go and disappear.
The process above will probably need to be, in the case of many people, repeated during the following days, or even weeks, to start experiencing the new, clear perception of the concept of the future (anxiety about the future is in general quite a strong issue) and to start experiencing how worries about the future begin to vanish.
Remember that, with Letting Go, we can’t control the moment of the revelation. All we can do is to let go and then let the revelation come to us at the moment it is ready to come. I can guarantee you, that sooner or later it will come if we let go and surrender ourselves properly. There is no other way. By letting go and surrendering ourselves, we clear the path ahead of us; we clear the vision, and we only need to wait for our own conscious and unconscious mind to adjust to this new reality. Paradoxically, our own brain is quite often the weakest link in our growth!