Our Economic Roles
As humans and consumers, we play many roles in society. Throughout our lives, we are merely role players at different stages, from our youth throughout adulthood. Our identities are formed from the emotional connection we have built during our journies throughout life.
We also have economic roles we play in society as a whole. The three prominent economic roles are:
- Consumers, we all use products, goods, and services. And sometimes we overindulge. But it helps grow and sustain a healthy economy.
- As workers, entrepreneurs, and employees, we also help grow our economy by producing goods and services.
- And as citizens, we pay taxes to support our government on all levels, we utilize public facilities, and we have certain rights, especially choosing our government representatives by voting.
Understand Your Rights as a Consumer
Consumer Rights and Responsibilities- Bill of Rights List
- Right to safety
- Right to be heard
- Right to be informed
- Right to choose
- Right to redress
- Right to consumer education
- Consumers are responsible for learning about products and consumer issues, make wise choices, and know their rights
- Federal, state, and local governments have passed laws to protect consumers against fraudulent practices
- Businesses and trade associations have st up consumer action panels, arbitration services, and internal consumer affairs departments to handle consumer complaints
The Consumer Movement
- Consumers have joined together to form the consumer movement
- Based on the idea that consumers as a group have the power to counter the economic and political influence of business and industry