Regardless of one’s personal/ political preferences, or even their vision, for what the United States of America, should be, in the present and future, there should be universal agreement, what differentiates (for the better), this nation, from most of the rest of the world, are the principles of our Constitution. America’s forefathers understood, and recognized, the possible, potential, inherent risks, of any one individual (or small group), to possess, too much un – checked power. Because of this, they included the principle, and idea, of having co – equal branches of government, balancing the power between the Executive and Legislative Branches, with the third branch (the Courts) protecting all the rights, liberties, and the justice, described by that document (and, adapted, to remain relevant, by the Amendments). Without the allegiance to the Bill of Rights, what does this country stand for, and represent? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Acting Cabinet Secretaries, instead of permanent ones: The President is supposed to submit his nominees for Cabinet Secretary, for various departments, to the Congress, for review and approval. Today, most of President Trump’s departments, are being led, by so – called, Acting Secretaries, instead of Congressionally approved ones! Many believe, this is being done, to ensure, there is far too little attention, being paid, to whether the appointee, is actually qualified, for the position!
2. The fine – line, between perjury, and skewing facts: Instead of agreeing to be, interviewed, face – to – face, President Trump, and his attorneys, decided to, only answer, specific written questions. However, when the President answered these, on approximately 30 occasions, his response, was, he did not recall, or to the best of his recollection. For someone, who has, on multiple occasions, claimed to have an exceptional memory, doesn’t it seem unusual? When various members of this administration, have spoken to Congress, they have danced – around, or skewed their responses. Recently, the Attorney General, William Barr, claimed he didn’t discuss with the Special Counsel’s office, certain items, although, later, it was revealed, he had received at least two letters, and had a phone call, with Mr. Mueller. Obviously, this fine – line, between perjury, and skewing facts, is a stubborn one!
3. Defying subpoenas, or laws: Members of his administration have defied subpoenas, to appear, or supply requested documents, etc, yet, Trump, proclaims, it is his right, to determine, what he does, and doesn’t disclose! However, our Constitution, states otherwise!
4. Pressuring Congress to end, or limit investigations: When the President, attempts to put pressure on Congress to limit or end investigations, especially, those about him, it is dangerous, to the concepts and ideals, of maintaining a meaningful, Balance of Powers. The Constitution provides certain responsibilities, on the Congress, including oversight, budgeting, etc. We live in a democracy, not an autocracy!
5. Excessive reliance on Executive Orders: It seems, in order to impose his will, this nation’s Chief Executive, has, often, used Executive Orders, to, either, negate programs/ priorities, or introduce, a far different approach! Shouldn’t we demand, the will of the people, is the priority, over anyone’s personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest?
Wake up, America, it’s up, to you, to demand, the United States of America, maintains its principles, which makes it the moral/ ethical leader, of the world! If we permit any individual, whether you agree with him, or not, to defy these, the future relevance, and sustainability of this nation, will be, at – risk!
Source by Richard Brody